Re: lenny+1 and the future of the alpha port?

Hi all:

First of all, I'm quite sad to see Debian stopping the support for the
Alpha architecture but I (as Gentoo/Alpha developer) can understand you
very well when talking about benefits vs problems generating to the
distribution in order to keep active the port and the people needed
to maintain the port alive.

All we can offer is help in anything you need (and we can provide)
during the lenny time of life. Feel free to poke us in #gentoo-alpha
at Freenode or mail us alpha@gentoo.org.

> > Of course, running Linux on Alpha today means running Debian.
>
> Has Jay Estabrook's Red Hat Alpha build fallen by the wayside?  Not that I'm
> seriously suggesting that anyone run Red Hat instead of Debian on their
> Alpha ;), just wondering what the status there is since I haven't heard from
> Jay in about a year.

Following apx mailling list, seems like the Red-hat alpha folks
(including Jay) have joined[1] the fedora distribution as an official port[2].

> Also, there do appear to be some folks running Gentoo on Alpha.

Indeed. The Gentoo/Alpha port is still active and supported. We aren't
planning on stop the support for Alpha but probably this will have to
happen sooner or later and if finally we lose Debian, things will turn
even worse.

Good luck guys and thanks for all the work you have put in alpha during
these years.

Kind Regards.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2008-February/msg00072.html
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/Alpha