Re: Does the Linux kernel for alpha support CONFIG_PREEMPT?

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 12:17:16AM -0400, Tom Evans wrote:
Well raid6 is pretty cpu intensive.  Also during the initial sync it
will by default try to use all disk bandwidth.  You can adjust the max
speed for resync using sysctl (or echo in /proc).  By default the max is
200000 KB/s, which I tend to change to 20000 KB/s to make the machine
useable while doing a resync.  I have only done raid1 with software so
far though (which is not cpu intensive at all).  Not sure what
difference the port expander would make.
I have done (and still do raid5) without performance impact (especially what I saw when the card was in a different slot). I will redo that array as raid5 to see if it makes a difference - I know software raid is expensive, just figured 6 wouldn't be too much more cpu intensive than level 5.

...tom