Re: New Installer & ReiserFS

On January 15, 2005 08:26 pm, John Goerzen wrote:
> Well, I could add my voice to the chorus that reiser is working fine
> here.  I have been using it for just over a year.  I have had a glitch
> or two, but they have been glitches that also existed on x86.  Nothing
> Alpha-specific that I'm aware of.

That's good to hear!

I should have probably been a little more specific in my prior email.  That
last 64bit related stuff I could find in the changelogs/mailing lists was
with 2.4.18.  There have been some none-Alpha-specific issues since then.

That may sound bad, but if you read the changelogs you will discover that
there have been issues with all the filesystems (there has actually been more
changelog entries associated with ext3 than ReiserFS since 2.4.19).

Thanks!  -T

PS:  I've attached a list of all the changlog entries dealing with ext3 and
ReiserFS since 2.4.19 (when the 64bit stuff was fixed for ReiserFS) for the
interested.

ReiserFS
- --------
2.4.27:
  o [2.4] Make reiserfs not to crash on oom during mount

2.4.23:
  o silence warning in reiserfs_ioctl
  o Update reiserfs configure help

2.4.22:
  o reiserfs: fix some issues with extended inode attributes
  o reiserfs: fix savelinks for bigendian arches
  o use the right function in reiserfs (resend #3)
  o reiserfs: Relocated journal support by Edward Shushkin & Vladimir Saveliev
  o reiserfs: speed up large file holes creation
  o reiserfs: Make most of the reiserfs warning messages to print what device
they relate to

2.4.21:
  o Fix reiserfs options parser, return error if given incorrect options on
remount
  o reiserfs: One of the O_DIRECT fixes disabled tail packing by mistake.
Enable it again
  o reiserfs: Fix another O_DIRECT vs tails problem. Mostly by Chris Mason
  o reiserfs: Refuse to mount/remount if "alloc=" option had incorect
parameter
  o reiserfs: iget4() race fix
  o reiserfs: Fix recenly introduced journal sanity check that breaks replay
on old filesystems
  o reiserfs: Fix for journal replay process, to only replay transactions from
last mount. By Chris Mason
  o reiserfs: Fix DIRECT IO interference with tail packing
  o reiserfs: iput deadlock fix - do not call iput() from inside of
transaction
  o fs_reiserfs_fix_node.c, typo: resourses

2.4.20:
  o Do not allow to mount reiserfs with blocksize != 4k
  o Remove reiserfs not very well tested code
  o Turn on blocks preallocation by default for reiserfs
  o reiserfs: Mistakenly forgotten inode attributes option was added back
  o reiserfs: Take into account file information even when not doing
preallocation. Fixes a bug with displacing_large_files option
  o reiserfs: Fix a problem with delayed unlinks and remounting RW filesystem
RW
  o reiserfs: Allow to insert more than one unformatted pointer into the tree
at a time. Use that to speed up hole creation/filling
  o Implemented reiserfs_file_write(), to write large amount of data at once
into files on reiserfs volumes which should boost write speed somewhat and
also should be somewhat more SMP friendly
  o update reiserfsprogs
  o reiserfs_fs.h, namei.c, bitmap.c
  o reiserfs_fs.h, namei.c, journal.c

ext3
- ----
2.4.28:
  o Fix missing `return NULL' missing in ext3_get_journal()
  o use-before-uninitialized value in ext3(2)_find_ goal
  o ext3_read_super: remove [un]lock_super  (Andrew Morton)

2.4.25:
  o Fix ext3/quota deadlock
  o 2.4.23 ext3 warning

2.4.22:
  o ext3_read_inode() race fix
  o Fix ext3 quota deadlock
  o Fixes ext3 quota/truncate oops

2.4.21:
  o Fix mmap+IO potential dangling IO in ext3
  o Add less-severe assert-failure form for ext3
  o Fix ext3 panic due to ll_rw_block behaviour after illegal block access
  o Minor build fix for ext3 (2.4 and 2.5)
  o Fix signed use of i_blocks in ext3 truncate
  o Fix ext3 scheduling storm and lockup
  o fix rare BUG in ext3
  o 2.4 ext3 ino_t removal
  o ia64: Update defconfig with 2.4.20 defaults, build in ext3
  o ext3 deadlock fix
  o ext3 use-after-free bugfix
  o backward ext3 endianness conversion
  o Fix for the ext3 data=journal unmount problem

2.4.20:
  o HTREE backwards compatibility patch. (--= long ext2 and ext3 description
cut =--)
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Bump ext3 version number
  o Sanity check for Intermezzo/ext3
  o ext3 commit notification for Intermezzo
  o Warn if mounting an ext3fs as ext2
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Fix O_SYNC for non-data-journaled
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Handle dirty buffers encountered
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Fix "buffer_jdirty" assert failure
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Fix the "dump corrupts filesystems"
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Fix buffer alias problem
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Truncate leak fix
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Fix out-of-inodes handling
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: fsync optimisation
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Fix truncate restart error
  o 2.4.20-pre4/ext3: Performance fix for O_SYNC behaviour
  o ext3 __FUNCTION__ usage in 2.4

- --
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe at uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                        Dept. of Applied Mathematics,
 Graduate Student- Applied Mathematics    University of Western Ontario,
 GnuPG Key ID# 0x8A2AB5D8                 London, Ontario, Canada