Re: New Installer & ReiserFS

Hello,
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 06:30:52PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Tyson,
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 07:02:33PM -0500, Tyson Whitehead wrote:
> > I just finished trying the new installer (from unstable).  Works great --
> > except it won't let me do an installation to ReiserFS (I wound up moving the
> > results over to ReiserFS with tar once the installation completed -- what a
> > pain)!  Spent a day digging around and finally came across the reason in bug
> > report 251083:
>
> > > reassign -1 linux-kernel-di-alpha
> > > retitle -1 dont provide reiserfs modules
> > > thanks
>
> > > * Helge Kreutzmann <kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de> [2004-05-26 18:15]:

This was the case. Yes. If recent kernels have fixed that, fine. I
never used it myself (tried jfs long ago). So if Reiser3 works indeed
fine, than the next revision of d-i can of course include it.

> We're too far into the sarge release cycle for this decision to be reversed
> by a mere show of hands.  If you think that reiserfs is indeed stable on
> alpha, please forward me some sort of documentation of when and how the
> previous issues were fixed.  You may wish to coordinate with Helge (who I
> believe follows this list), to pin down when and where the original
> impression of brokenness came from.

Ok. I was reading axp-list and this one for years, and several people
reported trouble with Reiser. Of course, time does not stand still and
if Reiser is now cleaned up, people simply stopped reporting errors
and that's how the impression might have got stuck.

Greetings

	    Helge

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de