Re: problems with 2.4.2x on alpha.

On the 5th of May 2004 at 04:26, Steve Langasek <vorlon#debian.org> wrote:

>> 0000:00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 30)
>> 0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
>> 0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
>> 0000:00:07.2 IDE interface: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
>> 0000:00:07.3 USB Controller: Contaq Microsystems 82c693
>> 0000:00:14.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21152 (rev 02)
>> 0000:01:04.0 SCSI storage controller: QLogic Corp. ISP1020 Fast-wide SCSI (rev 05)
>> 0000:01:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 (rev 01)
>
>>> There seems to be a possibility that the problems most people are
>>> running into on alphas are caused not by bugs in the drivers for
>>> individual controllers, but by bugs in the PCI setup routines; so PCI
>>> bridges may cause an otherwise functional card to fail.
>> so where would be the fix/workaround for that?
> Well, knowing that this is a case where the PCI bridge isn't on the card
> with the SCSI controller, you might try moving the SCSI card into one of
> the first three slots

well, that's impossible. i'm not sure if you have ever seen the miata inside,
i got some pictures at http://600au.bigendian.org/ .

in short: the qlogic chip is on the motherboard (and it's called '1040' not
'1020'). the ethernet card is a bit strange, it's not a regular pci/isa slot
card, but it's located in the top of the computer case case, connected with
the motherboard with a cable (like the soundcard as well). so, the only device
i can move is the graphic card :(

> (as Jay also suggests for your video -- though speedy video is probably a
> lower priority on a system you can't get to work at all :).

already done, see my other mail.

> And thanks for posting the lspci info.  Hopefully, this will eventually
> be of use in figuring this bug out, now that we have more of an idea of
> when it does or doesn't manifest.

i'd be happy to provide more info, even give accounts on this machine if
someone wants to take closer look (but be warned that compiling kernel takes
20-25 minutes and my link is sometimes quite saturated). until i have proper
kernel/xfree configuration my miata just runs setiathome.

> Comparing with Jaakko's working configuration, which seems to differ
> principally in the revision of PCI bridge:
>
> 00:08.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21152 (rev 01)
> 01:08.0 SCSI storage controller: QLogic Corp. ISP1020 Fast-wide SCSI (rev 05)

i guess i can't change this :/

 m.m.

ps. the mail-followup-to header was set both to the list and your e-mail,
    aren't you subscribed to debian-alpha?
--
 use gnus, not guns!