Re: Couple quick questions 164Lx milo/aboot/ext3 AlphaBIOS versus SRM

Robert <RAlatalo@Users.SourceForge.net> writes:

> 	After replacing one of my Harddrives and partitioning,
> 	formatting and copying all my files over I found out that milo
> 	doesn't support ext3 or even newer ext2 formatted partitions.
> 	I copied the kernel to the small dos partition and got
> 	everything working.

The problem is most likely sparse superblocks rather than ext3. A
cleanly unmounted ext3 is really just ext2.

> 	I was trying to research the following but didn't have any
> 	luck finding quick information and since I'm sure a number of
> 	fine folks here can answer these off the top of their head I
> 	thought I would ask them here.
>

> 1) Does aboot as run from srm understand ext3 filesystems?

Yes. It does not support the recent (kernel 2.5) htree ext3 feature,
though.

> 2) Since srm requires a boot record and AlphaBios used standard ibm
>    disk partitioning would I have to repartition and format my
>    drives, or can I create a small boot record for the disk with
>    covers the first small section and use the rest of my partitions
>    as is?

You can't use DOS partition blocks, since they collide with the place
SRM expects the boot loader.

> 3) Since I have a 164Lx system I can't have both SRM and AlphaBios
>    both installed at the same time.  I have found the bios updates
>    but wonder if anyone else has changed the 164Lx from AlphaBios to
>    SRM?  Is it just as easy to change it back?  Any horror stories,
>    is it worth it to change?

I've done that on an SX164. It worked, and was worth changing, since
booting was much faster. Also, you get improved PALcodes, which for
example should allow using oprofile.

> 5) From what I was reading no one is continuing work on Milo but
>    what happened to the source code?  I thought, possibly
>    incorrectly, that the milo code was basicly compiled against a
>    kernel version and that keeping it upto date would be relatively
>    simple?

Probably, but nobody is doing it...

--
	Falk