Re: Couple quick questions 164Lx milo/aboot/ext3 AlphaBIOS versus SRM

> 1) Does aboot as run from srm understand ext3 filesystems?

I don't think it handles journaling, however ext3 is just ext2 +
journaling so in effect it can read it. Since this is read only
access you'll be fine.

> 2) Since srm requires a boot record and AlphaBios used standard ibm disk
> partitioning would I have to repartition and format my drives,

Yes.

> or can I
> create a small boot record for the disk with covers the first small
> section and use the rest of my partitions as is?

Sorry, no.

> 3) Since I have a 164Lx system I can't have both SRM and AlphaBios both
> installed at the same time.  I have found the bios updates but wonder if
>   anyone else has changed the 164Lx from AlphaBios to SRM?  Is it just
> as easy to change it back?  Any horror stories, is it worth it to change?

This has been done many, many times. Take a search through the debian and
axp-list archives and you'll see it documented many times.

> 4) I am also curious if anyone has tried VMS or Digital Unix on the
> 164Lx, something I am considering trying out if I move to SRM and they
> will run?

Yes, provided you also have other hardware that's supported by either of
those two. Both are much more picky then Linux when it comes to hardware
they will use.

> 5) From what I was reading no one is continuing work on Milo but what
> happened to the source code?  I thought, possibly incorrectly, that the
> milo code was basicly compiled against a kernel version and that keeping
> it upto date would be relatively simple?

I'm not a MILO expert, I've stayed away from it as much as possible.
However I beleive it's tied quite deeply to the kernel, so as kernels
change MILO has to be updated to handle this. From what I've seen it NOT
an easy task.

--rdp

Rich Payne
http://talisman.mv.com