Re: 3d on alpha?

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 05:49:43PM +0200, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:

> I just acquired a PWS 500a with a very cool looking but utterly unsupported
> Powerstorm 4D50T in it.
>
> So I'm looking to replace this with another video card. My question is, is
> there any video card with decent 3d support on alpha? Is it actually worth
> to spend money on a 3d card, considering that it'll have to be a PCI version
> anyway, or should I not bother and just put in the S3+Voodoo2 combo I still
> have sitting in an old peecee?

I have the following 3D cards that all work on PWS machines with XFree86
4.1.0 or later:

3DFx Banshee
3DFx Voodoo3 3000
ATI Rage 128
ATI Radeon (original PCI card, chip is R100)
ATI Radeon 7000 (not absolutely sure I've tried this)

I've seen the last (Radeon 7000) available locally in the $70-$80 US range.

You may need to tell SRM to not worry about the card in the 64-bit slot
by doing:

	>>> set pci_device_override -1

*BEFORE* installing it.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com