Re: PC164 scsi trouble and SRM version confusion

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 12:37:46PM -0700, Mike Campbell wrote:

> Thank's for the reply - the ide solution was rolling around in my
> mind too - the thing is i already have a nice scsi cdrom and a
> cdwriter... oh well, I guess for installation purposes I could add
> an ide cdrom and also a small ide just to put the bootloader and
> /boot partition on... but let the system basically run from the u2w
> scsi disks.  What do you think?

Yup, that's what I'd do; the IDE CDROM could also come in handy if the
small (old :-) IDE disk died, and you had to do a recovery from CD...

> The 875 based cards I tried were a Kouwell(?) card with the chip
> labeled 53c875E and an actual LSI card with the chip labeled
> 53c875JE i think...

That's most likely the reason; the SRM console is really particular
WRT the hardware it supports, and those are much newer (I assume)
than the stock 53C875 parts I've seen on all the ones we've sold...

Good luck.

OBTW, the (soon-to-be) 2.4.19 kernels will start building a specific
PC164 kernel with code generated for EV56, which should offer a bit of
a performance boost for those machines... :-)

 --Jay++