Re: Bloody alpha ignorant

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:31:42PM +0100, Philip Kendall wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 10:29:57AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > You can see that, while 'c' occupies from sector 1 until 39693, its
> > filesystem is marked as 'unused' - Alphas, as many other Unix
> > architectures, require partition c to be the 'wholedisk' partition.
>
> Is that actually true for Linux?

You are correct, it is NOT true for Linux.

> I believe that Tru64 and *BSD do require c to be the wholedisk though
> (certainly my FreeBSD Alpha has that, although I actually know very
> little about FreeBSD really).

I think it's primarily a "tradition" on some versions of UNIX - they
originally needed some way to refer to the whole disk, and decided a "c"
partition would be the way to do it (I'd love to know why it's "c" and
not "a" or some such).

Linux, OTOH, uses the device name without the partition number as the
"whole disk", which is, IMHO, more logical.

 --Jay++