Re: PC164 scsi trouble and SRM version confusion

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 09:51:56AM -0700, Mike Campbell wrote:

> I have a PC164 system (not lx or sx).  I have a Symbios 53C875 and a
> 53C895 in it, neither of which is shown when i do "show device". In
> fact, All that shows up is dva0.0.0.1, the floppy.
>
>  Consequently I have been booting from floppies (yech).
>
>  I tried a couple differnt cards with the 875 chip, but nothing.
>  When I do a show config there is a listing for ncr53c8xx in the pci
>  section (just one), and, when I flash the new srm image, the update
>  utility says something like "Loading device drivers" and it shows
>  "ncr53c8xx", so it knows the card is there, but it wont boot from
>  it.
>
> My srm version says 5.5-1 when i start up the computer - Is this the
> latest one?  I have seen people talk about 5.6, and there are
> release notes on the dec ftp site about 5.6, but this is all I can
> come up with.  What can I do (besides find anoither scsi
> controller)?

Yes, 5.5-1 is indeed the latest (last, IIRC) version of SRM for the PC164.

I just tried an NCR 875-based controller (IntraServer Technology
3140U-4), and it worked like a charm, saw all the disks attached to
it, and booted from one of them.

IIRC, there was another 875 from IntraServer, but without the "U" in
its number, that did NOT work well under SRM. I think they (875-based
cards) were relatively new back then, and SRM may be quite fussy about
which ones it will support.

I don't hold out much hope for the 895, that'd be too recent...

HOWEVER, I do have a workaround to propose... :-)

I was just able to boot from an IDE disk and CDROM attached to the
closest-to-the-edge-of-mobo of the IDE pinouts (it's NOT a socket :-)
at the board-edge side of the memory SIMM sockets. They showed up as
"dqa0" and "dqa1" under SRM, and "just worked"... :-)

So, throw away that floppy... :-)

 --Jay++