Re: Alpha: aboot rescue disk

Hello !
On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 05:42:51AM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently, the rescue disk for Alphas with SRM/aboot doesn't work
> because e2writeboot fails. The first problem is that e2writeboot
> doesn't return a nonzero status on failure so this will go unnotified;
> I've tried filing a bug about this but the BTS is down.
>
> It fails because the disk is too full; it needs a continuos empty area
> and can't find one. First, it might help to install it onto the empty
> disk, when finding a continuos area is not a problem. I'll look into
> that. Then I wonder if the sys_map.gz (77k) is actually needed, or was
> it put there just because it fits so nicely? There's already a special
> case for some arch's not to add it, can I just include Alpha?

Ok, I noticed that I could not boot from the rescue disk with SRM.

Secondly I noticed that I always get an
ls: linuxboot: Input/output error

with this file, even if mounted loopback. I downloaded this file now
several times so I *think* it is not a download problem (especially
since it is always the same file).

Greetings

         Helge
--