Re: New bootdisks / first install report / help needed

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001, Thimo Neubauer wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 05:51:32PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > I can try them on a ruffian which is currently out of production due to
> > some technical difficulties and on my LX, maybe on an XP1000. Regarding
> > my LX I cannot complete the installation due to missing network (i.e.
> > only modem).
>
> That would be perfect!

Hi Thimo,

I just joined the alpha list today, but earlier this week I looked
over the archives from the past month or so (unfortunately, lists.d.o
seems to be down now, so it's hard to find some of the previous
messages on this topic) and followed your progress with boot floppies.

Anyway, if possible, I'd like to try to help out with these Alpha boot
floppies for woody (since I'm really hoping Alpha can be an included
architecture).  I'm not a debian-developer, and almost all my
programming experience is with scientific simulations (in C/C++
though, not Fortran, at least recently (-;) rather than with
system-level code, but I'd still like to contribute if I can.  Also,
most of my Debian/GNU Linux experience is with the x86 architecture,
but now I'm running parallel simulations on a number of dual DP264's, so
I've been trying to get up to speed with them.

> > Secondly is this the right list to post the problems/results ? I am not
> > much of a C programmer so I can only limit myself to bug reports though.
>
> Bug reports are perfect, testing the disks doesn't mean that you have
> to fix all bugs you encounter :-)
>
> I think that Alpha-specialities should be discussed on debian-alpha
> first, because the probability of someone knowing a solution to a
> problem will be slighly larger. But that is only my opinion. Falk,
> what do you think about it?

So, if I remember correctly from past emails I saw in the archive, you
and Falk are coordinating these boot floppies.  I'll follow your lead
in any way you suggest.  I also remember that one of you had some
bandwidth difficulties, and was potentially looking for a test
machine.  Contact me offlist if I can help in this regard.

> By the way, if you wait one or two days, unhacked disks may be
> available as the too-big-rootdisk-problem is said to be fixed.
>
> CU
>     Thimo

BTW, good luck with finishing up your thesis!

Take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics