sym53c8xx SCSI Controller and Kernel 2.4.5 boot problems

I'm having problems booting the 2.4.5 kernel on my alpha machine. I've used
both the stock kernel source (from kernel.org) and the debian kernel source
with the same results. I believe it comes down to the sym53c875 SCSI
controller in the machine. When I boot the new kernel, it will freeze after
initializing the SCSI card while trying to identify what SCSI disks are
present.  I've tried the sym53c8xx driver, the NCR 53c8xx driver, and the old
NCR 53c7,8xx driver. Only the sym53c8xx driver gets to the point of
attempting to ID the SCSI devices.

I should note that the generic 2.2.19-2 kernel in the 2.2r3 release works
fine, and it uses the sym53c8xx driver. Also, (obviously), the version of the
sym53c8xx driver is different in the 2.2.19 and 2.4.5 kernels.

In configuring the kernel, I have SCSI support, SCSI disk support, and SCSI
CDROM support. In addition, I compile the sym53c8xx driver into the kernel,
and no other drivers.

I found a note on another Alpha mailing list about someone having the same
problem with the 2.4.test1 kernel, but no follow-up or solution was posted.
Does anyone have suggestions?

My setup:
21164A processor
EB164, variation PC164 type system
SMC  FDC37C93X Ultra  IO controller that contains:
   DEC Tulip ethernet controller
   sym53c875 SCSI controller
256MB RAM
Debian woody/testing (except for X11 packages, which are from potato)

--
| Martin Sanborn - Dept. of Chemical Engineering - Northwestern University |
| m-sanborn@ nwu.edu - (847)467-1653 - http://zeolites.cqe.nwu.edu/marty |