Re: kernel and gcc version (was: cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed)

Martin Lucina <mato@kotelna.sk> writes:

> Another idea I had some time ago was in order to make it even more explicit
> to users, the config option should be changed to a multi-choice, i.e.
>
> Bootloader type (MILO, SRM) [SRM]?

Or we could get rid of the config option and just always do like the
generic kernels and detect it by reading the system serial number
field in the HWRPB.... It's true that being able to select it makes
the kernel slightly (very slightly) smaller and removes some branches,
but this is pretty inconsequential compared to the gains you get by
compiling for a specific platform in the first place.

Cheers

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 desk, 613.223.0225 mobile