kernel and gcc version (was: cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed)

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> PS: Are there any problems known when compiling the latest kernels
> with a fairly recent gcc?

I never had problems on i386 and it also works on alpha (which I use
for only 2 weeks now).

> Mine don't want to boot at all.

I had some problems, but it seems that CONFIG_ALPHA_SRM in .config was
the answer to my problems.  It seems, that this variable has to be set
to yes, if you want to use aboot and it has to be set to no, if you
want to use MILO.  I didn't find this documented somewhere, but it
seems to work here this way...

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--