Re: Freeze Strategy (Alpha boot floppies)

Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:

> Fact is: it didn't work with the latest CVS checkout on Alpha, it did work
> with the two lines reverted to the previous version. We'll look into it.

Now that I think of it, the alpha-functioning version of these two
lines broke things on i386.  In the worst case, you can put a switch
that depends on the current architecture, rather than one sed line for
all arches.

> > YOu can make this problem go away if you just build your kernels with
> > those built in... Will it fit?
>
> Not sure. We are pretty short of space already with MILO and the kernel. My
> guess is that it won't work but I'll check. There aren't any 2.2.14 alpha
> kernel images anyway so I'll have to consult with Herbert Xu about the
> configuration.

Um, Herbert does the alpha kernels as well as i386?  that doesn't
sound right.  Anyhow, there's no reason why the alpha kernel has to
match the i386 one option by option.

> > Are you working from CVS?  Will you be committing your changes or
> > sending patches?
>
> Yes, we are working from CVS but I guess we aren't allowed to commit changes
> unless every developer automatically gets commit access.

They do.

> So the choice is yours which way we should sync up.

I would suggest just commiting to CVS, but first making sure that none
of the alpha changes will *break* other platforms, espeically i386.
If in doubt, wait until 2.2.5 is uploaded.