Re: Freeze Strategy (Alpha boot floppies)

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 03:36:19PM -0500, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 09:38:58AM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > Explicitly label the disks "MILO", "KERNEL", "ROOT".  I'm still
>
> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on boot-floppies at the moment,
> I'm starting a new job (at LinuxCare Canada, with a DS10 on my desk :) in a
> couple of weeks so I'm spending most of my time "finishing up" at my current
> job (documentation ... documentation ... security audit ... more
> documentation)
>
> If anyone else wants to work on boot-floppies a bit that would be
> appreciated.

My co sysadmin at the university, Flynn Marquardt, is happily hacking
on the Alpha boot floppies.
The status is:

* we used 2.0.35 MILOS because this way we can keep MILO and the boot
kernel on one floppy (unfortunately the latest MILOS 00xx don't work for
us). We had to get rid of the sysmap on the boot disk to fit all
in. Any disadvantage ?

* the mkshlibs.sh script was broken again on Alpha after tad had fixed
it. We reverted to his patch and it seems to work now.

* we generated only one root disk for all alpha architectures, this
could constitute a problem because of the unix.o and af_packet.o
modules which are included on the root disk. What are these modules
needed for on the root disk ?

* Flynn built a couple of boot/root disk sets which we'll evaluate
tomorrow

We hope to be able to produce a first set of boot floppies after the
2.2.5 boot floppies release in the next couple of days.

We'll keep you posted.

Greetings,

				Christian
--