Re: Freeze Strategy

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 12:30:09PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>  * How are our boot disks coming along?  Who is working on them?

I was working on them.  I'm waiting for a new kernel package, then I will
get around to uploading them.

As mentioned in some earlier messages, there are a few things that are going
to be different in potato:

1) The kernel and MILO no longer fit on a single 1.4M floppy.  Therefore the
"rescue disk" won't actually be a rescue disk, but rather just a disk with a
kernel image and aboot on it, and ARC/AlphaBIOS users will require a
separate disk to hold MILO and linload.exe.  The name "rescue disk" is
potentially confusing on all non-i386 architectures...  oh well...
suggestions on how to best deal with this in the documentation/etc would be
greatly appreciated.

2) Since there are just way too many subarchitectures, and since it's now
possible to compile a generic kernel in 2.2, there will be only one kernel
and set of modules.