Re: Freeze Strategy (Alpha boot floppies)

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 10:16:34PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Christian Meder <meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
>
> > * the mkshlibs.sh script was broken again on Alpha after tad had fixed
> > it. We reverted to his patch and it seems to work now.
>
> Uh, but any changes I made after his patch were just to get i386 and
> some readability stuff...

Fact is: it didn't work with the latest CVS checkout on Alpha, it did work
with the two lines reverted to the previous version. We'll look into it.

> > * we generated only one root disk for all alpha architectures, this
> > could constitute a problem because of the unix.o and af_packet.o
> > modules which are included on the root disk. What are these modules
> > needed for on the root disk ?
>
> unix.o is needed for syslog; I'm not sure about af_packet.o.
>
> YOu can make this problem go away if you just build your kernels with
> those built in... Will it fit?

Not sure. We are pretty short of space already with MILO and the kernel. My
guess is that it won't work but I'll check. There aren't any 2.2.14 alpha
kernel images anyway so I'll have to consult with Herbert Xu about the
configuration.

> > * Flynn built a couple of boot/root disk sets which we'll evaluate
> > tomorrow
> >
> > We hope to be able to produce a first set of boot floppies after the
> > 2.2.5 boot floppies release in the next couple of days.
>
> Are you working from CVS?  Will you be committing your changes or
> sending patches?

Yes, we are working from CVS but I guess we aren't allowed to commit changes
unless every developer automatically gets commit access. So the choice is
yours which way we should sync up.

The other question again: Is it ok to kick the sysmap from the boot floppy ?

Greetings,

				Christian
--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de