Routed problems?

We've been having problems getting routed or zebra to work on a fairly
current potato system.  A similar configuration works quite happily on
an i386 Slink machine.  Both systems are running kernel 2.2.14.

routed doesn't seem to be able to discover neighbouring routers
(although when you point it at one it picks up routes just fine) and
refuses to advertise any routes.  It seems that what happens is that
when it looks for interfaces routed gets (IIRC) ENODEV and so decides
that it doesn't have any connected ethernets.

Zebra seems to suffer from the same problem - it disclaims all knowledge
of all the interfaces, but I haven't checked to see that it's getting
the same error.  The only other networking program I've had problems
with is nmap, which also reported being unable to find locally attached
interfaces.  Otherwise, the system seems to be functioning normally.

What am I missing here (I checked the kernel configuration, but I may
have missed something)?

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/