"possible" ldd problem

Hello all;

With the help of "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> I have been
trying to build pine deb's for one of my systems running potato. After
getting quite a ways I get:

<SNIPPED>
dpkg-shlibdeps bin/pine
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: cannot exec ldd: No such file or directory
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: ldd on `bin/pine' gave error exit status 2
make[1]: *** [binaryPine] Error 35
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rbf/pine-tmp/deb/pine-4.21'
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2

ldso _IS_ installed and the current version. Is this something that is
a known problem? If anyone wants a complete log of what happens contact
me in private and I'll send it to you, it is long.

TIA,

Ron