Re: Sound problem (and root menu problem)

To answer my own questions after some hours of work:

1) Despite what the 2.2.14 kernel detects, the Personal Workstation
actually has an ES1688.  This chip type can be forced if you edit
drivers/sound/sb_ess.c or if you compile as a module.  Previous versions
of the kernel used the 1688 even if other chips were detected, thus
preventing others from having this problem.  The kernel documentation
itself even claims that it has this behavior, when it actually does now
use the chip that is detected. The sound speed issue occured because the
sound clock of the 1888 is twice that of the 1688 (presumably for twice as
much sound resolution).

2) The 'menu' package is the one that I wanted.  (This one was easier to
figure out.)

I think that problem #1 might actually be important.  I wonder if it's
actually worth contacting the kernel maintainers about... Of course, I
have no idea why the chip is mis-detected.