Sound problem (and root menu problem)

Thanks for the tip about the de4x5 driver.  That did the trick.  But now
I'm having a new problem: sound.  It works, but it appears to play at half
speed.  This problem seems only to occur for mp3s, though, but all the
different mp3 players have the same problem (mpg123, xmms, etc.)  The date
comand seems to follow the time correctly, but the time that the sound
player shows seems to go by at half the speed it should.  I have a Miata,
specifically a PW 500a, and I'm fairly sure it has an ES1888. Here is the
boot messages I get for the audio config (nothing looks wrong with it that
I can see):

Sound initialization started
ESS chip ES1888 detected
<ESS ES1888 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.01)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5
<ESS ES1688> at 0x330 irq 9 dma 0
<Yamaha OPL3> at 0x388
Sound initialization complete

Any ideas?  Oh, and one other thing, which is probably not an
Alpha-related matter per se: Window Maker shows a nifty root menu that
changes when I install packages on my x86 system, but shows a fixed menu
on this system.  How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Martin.