kernel upgrade

Hey everybody.  I've got Debian 2.1 with the 2.0.35 kernel (just
installed) and I'm trying to update the kernel to 2.2.9.  I read in the
readme for 2.2.9 that I needed several other things updated before I
should update the kernel.  One of these others said I needed an updated
version.h to install properly and suggested I update to kernel 2.1.x.  Is
there an easy way to get to 2.2.9 without going through 2.1.x first?  If
you hadn't guess, no I haven't done this before.

----
Dave Wiard                        Computer Science
davew@wcug.wwu.edu                Western Washington University
http://www.wcug.wwu.edu/~davew