Re: kernel upgrade

> On Aug 08, Dave Wiard scrawled :

> Hey everybody.  I've got Debian 2.1 with the 2.0.35 kernel (just
> installed) and I'm trying to update the kernel to 2.2.9.  I read in the
> readme for 2.2.9 that I needed several other things updated before I
> should update the kernel.  One of these others said I needed an updated
> version.h to install properly and suggested I update to kernel 2.1.x.  Is
> there an easy way to get to 2.2.9 without going through 2.1.x first?  If
> you hadn't guess, no I haven't done this before.

there is no reason to go via 2.1.x to get to 2.2.x either.
erm.... the only version.h I could locate on my system was in
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h and in usr/include/linux/version.h
and i presume the second is installed via installing the new kernel.
I get the feeling someon'es throwing you a red herring there. I'd also grab
the 2.2.10 kernel (I remember on the list a while ago 2.2.9 had some problems
IIRC?)  grap the source for 2.2.x untar it, read the stuff under
Documentation/ (esp the file called Configuration)and the README file
that should tell you everything on how to install a new kernel *up to the
reboot stage*  What you do after that depends on whether you use the SRM or
the Alphabios console.
Let us know, and we'll see how we can help further.

regards,
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere
   japester@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au