Re: PLEASE READ: egcs issues

John Goerzen writes:
 > On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 07:51:36PM -0500, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
 >
 > > 4. (Ok, I'll add a fourth)  Fixing this issue will definitely help
 > >    users of older versions of slink that are upgrading.  As it stands,
 > >    if they upgrade dpkg, let's say, before libc6.1, it may break package
 > >    installs of EVERYTHING.
 >
 > This is probably the only good argument, but anyway, the dependencies should
 > take care of that, right?

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no dependencies to take into account the
problem, so even if we did keep the current compiler, we would need to
reupload all the problematic packages to add a dependency on the
latest libc. It makes much more sense to recompile them with a fixed
compiler (people can experiment such a new compiler on
http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~lprylli/axp/gcc), it should be ok, but it may
be better not to upload packages compiled with this one yet.

Loic