Re: PLEASE READ: egcs issues

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 07:51:36PM -0500, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, John Goerzen wrote:
>
> > I don't understand.  Why should we hold up our development solely to let
> > RedHat users run binaries in .deb packages?  It makes no sense to me.
>
> Three reasons:
> 1. The Linux community SHOULD work together to provide consistency.  Alot
>    of work has been done towards this effect already.

Certainly.

> 2. There already was an i386 issue regarding this where the same
>    conclusion was drawn: compatibility can often be a key towards winning
>    over users of other distributions.

Certainly there too.  So we hold up the distro to get the fixed compiler in.
But I don't see why we need to hold it up so that recompiled .debs get in.

> 3. On the Alpha especially where RH is the dominant distribution right
>    now, sometimes, binaries are only available that may need to be used
>    on both distributions.  As it is, I doubt any of us really want to

I don't think that RedHat people want/need to use .debs, just as I don't
want/need to use RPMs.  Fixing the compiler is fine, but again, I fail to
see the advantage for us to hold things up to "fix" the debs.

>    think that RH packages will run on Debian, but Debian's don't run
>    anywhere else but on another Debian system.

If generic programs compiled by someone using Debian don't run elsewhere,
that could be a problem.  So we fix the compiler.  But hold up the distro
because other debs were compiled with that compiler?  I don't think so.

> 4. (Ok, I'll add a fourth)  Fixing this issue will definitely help
>    users of older versions of slink that are upgrading.  As it stands,
>    if they upgrade dpkg, let's say, before libc6.1, it may break package
>    installs of EVERYTHING.

This is probably the only good argument, but anyway, the dependencies should
take care of that, right?