Re: PLEASE READ: egcs issues

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, John Goerzen wrote:

> I don't understand.  Why should we hold up our development solely to let
> RedHat users run binaries in .deb packages?  It makes no sense to me.

Three reasons:
1. The Linux community SHOULD work together to provide consistency.  Alot
   of work has been done towards this effect already.
2. There already was an i386 issue regarding this where the same
   conclusion was drawn: compatibility can often be a key towards winning
   over users of other distributions.
3. On the Alpha especially where RH is the dominant distribution right
   now, sometimes, binaries are only available that may need to be used
   on both distributions.  As it is, I doubt any of us really want to
   think that RH packages will run on Debian, but Debian's don't run
   anywhere else but on another Debian system.
4. (Ok, I'll add a fourth)  Fixing this issue will definitely help
   users of older versions of slink that are upgrading.  As it stands,
   if they upgrade dpkg, let's say, before libc6.1, it may break package
   installs of EVERYTHING.