Re: Hows Alphadebian doing?

On Sat 02 Jan 1999, Gerhard Poul wrote:

> But what's really important: we need a debian-cd that is able to create
> bootable alpha CD's !!

The problem is that there is no standard for bootable cdroms on Alpha
systems like there is for Intel systems. E.g. the NT stuff will only
work on systems that have an ARC bios, and even then maybe only on
specific versions. Additionally, it seems that the specs for that is
not openly available...

> Not so important, but how is the "Install Windows NT" working in the BIOS ??

As I said, I believe most Alpha's don't have that option in their bios.

> But if not I'm thinking of a little command line for MILO which boots from
> CD-ROM...

But then you still need a floppy to start milo, and that is specific to
the hardware, and the command line for milo is probably also dependent
on the hardware. All in all not an easy task. But hey, feel free to take
a shot at it, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will help with
testing :-)

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org