Re: probs compiling kernel UDB

> I have an UDB with the hamm-alpha distribution installed. I want to
> upgrade my kernel but I can't find a way to compile one. I'm trying
> in 2.0.36.

Tom,

There is a big problem with 2.0.x kernels, and it is called
"alpha-patches". The standard kernels won't compile right of the box, and
you need to apply patches, or get the patched sources at
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com

What I would recommend you, however, is to try a 2.1.x kernel. The ones
above 2.1.130 compile without any patches ...

I tried 2.1.131 and 2.1.132 without problems! I heard the 2.2.0pre one
also compile without a problem, but I haven't tried one ...

FYI, I have a UDB 166Mhz, 32MB and 1GB disk (and yep, I also got mine from
wimpie@dino ... :-))

Grtnx,

Frank

PS: I did need to upgrade my egcs compiler to get the 2.1.131 to compile.
I actualy tried to live on the edge, and got the source for egcs 1.1.1 and
compiled the compiler (warning, this takes more than a few hours :-( )