Re: Hows Alphadebian doing?

Hi,

> 	Out of curiousity, how long have you been subscribed to the
> debian-alpha list? Must not be too long, otherwise you would have seen
> plenty of traffic in the past few months. I think that there are two
> reasons why the traffic on this list is rather low currently:

I've been subscribed for the last 2 months I think... hmmm... I saw that
there are packages which get built...

But I think we should also look at the installation disks and installation
program. If you want I can look at these things and make it more
alpha-specific...

But what's really important: we need a debian-cd that is able to create
bootable alpha CD's !!

Not so important, but how is the "Install Windows NT" working in the BIOS ??
Maybe we can use that...

But if not I'm thinking of a little command line for MILO which boots from
CD-ROM...

> 	2. The alpha distrib is currently frozen, and might even be in
> deep freeze. That means just bugs are being fixed and a few last issues
> being cleaned up, no major development is occuring at the moment. It
> shouldn't be long until a (first) release version of debian for alpha
> appears, and CDs should soon follow.

hehe... have you read the threads about the cd creation tool...??? don't
think that they will follow as fast as you think... But I already have a
tool which works for hamm... and it's not really a problem to support slink
as soon as there are the new apt and dpkg version which support
multi-cd's...

> and that was even last summer. Anyway, I always liked a good challenge,
> something to keep life from getting too boring. :)

A challenge is okay for one or two computers... but think about installing
20 alpha machines... The same challenge on these machines is _really_
boring... :-(((

> 	Overall, the alpha platform is not nearly as mature as i386, but
> it has come a long way, so I would suggest that you take a closer look
> before you start attacking Linux/Alpha of any distrib. Also, the way in
> which things are developed for debian is a bit different than othe
> distribs, and it takes a little getting used to. But after using debian
> and lurking on the mailing list for six months, I am quite convinced that
> Debian is one of the best distribs for Linux.

I don't want to attack anyone... I only thought about some things... Because
the debian-alpha CD's I have (yes, we created 3 CD's with our utility)
aren't working really good....

(Not because we burned them on cd... dselect installs okay from cd.... but
the challenge I don't like is: "Will it boot or not??" and that's the main
part which doesn't work on the alpha platform... It should simply _boot_
from CD... we worked 3 days on MILO and install disks until it worked the
first time to boot... That's _not_ cool :))

Just4Info: I'm using debian not very long... (since bo was released) but I
think I'm not that new that I don't know how debian basically works...

hmmm... Okay... the CD I have work good... But until the Alpha Platform
boots is a long way... And I think we should reduce that to a minimum...

cu
 gerhard