Re: Compiler still buggy

egcs@cygnus.com; if you have a good bug report (with a short test case
and everything) send it to egcs-bugs@cygnus.com.

> > still working on a more finalised compiler for us and am testing a new
> > build and patchset today, fyi.
>
> Incidentally, it would be cool if there were a switch for the Alpha gcc to
> tell it to use variables of the same 32-bit size that are used on other
> platforms for dealing with certain stubborn and broken programs like Tcl and
> mozilla.

It's been discussed.  Some have speculated that it might be possible
to fix some 32-bitness problems by messing with appropriate options to
gcc, so as to relocate the text, data, stack and heap of the program
into the lower 32 bits of address space.  But really, programs which
rely on pointers being 32 bits are broken; attempting to patch them up
only delays the inevitable bugs.  It's better to just bite the bullet
and fix the programs.  Future generations will thank us.

-andy
--
Andy Isaacson adisaacs@mtu.edu adi@acm.org    Fight Spam, join CAUCE:
http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~adisaacs/              http://www.cauce.org/