Re: cdwrite, cdrecord, xcdroast

On Thu 19 Nov 1998, Brederlow wrote:

> I tried to burn a CD yesterday on my Alpha and stumbled across some
> problems:
>
> The generic devices aren't present and MAKEDEV doesn't know them.

Are you sure? I have no trouble creating them with "/dev/MAKEDEV sg".
Make sure to cd into /dev first.

> cdwrite - not compiled for alpha and sources only in hamm

cdwrite has not been maintained for a LONG time (by the upstream
author), and cdrecord is regarded as the successor by all.

> cdrecord - stops with a shmmem error (invalid argument)

Your kernel probably doesn't have a large enough shared memory segment
available. I recall that for some reason, it is smaller on Alpha than
on i386. cdrecord by default requests a 4MB segment. You can change this
with the fs= parameter.

> xcdroast - tells me to go into setup, screams about not working
> buttons and has no "save setup" option. The main buttons (except show
> devices, setup and exit) are disabled, so one can't burn.

Hmm. I hardly ever use xcdroast, I do things by hand.

> Does anybody know if cdwrite compiles under alpha? Has anybody burned
> CD's on alpha yet?

I think that cdwrite probably will not compile on alpha. The code was
not known for its cleanliness...
I was planning on trying a burn on alpha tonight, as it happens (some
one wants a copy of my debian/alpha mirror).  I'll let you know how I
get on.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org