Re: cdwrite, cdrecord, xcdroast

On Thu 19 Nov 1998, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 19 Nov 1998, Brederlow wrote:
>
> > I tried to burn a CD yesterday on my Alpha and stumbled across some
> > problems:
> >
> > The generic devices aren't present and MAKEDEV doesn't know them.
>
> Are you sure? I have no trouble creating them with "/dev/MAKEDEV sg".
> Make sure to cd into /dev first.

I've tried it, and that part works fine.

> > cdrecord - stops with a shmmem error (invalid argument)
>
> Your kernel probably doesn't have a large enough shared memory segment
> available. I recall that for some reason, it is smaller on Alpha than
> on i386. cdrecord by default requests a 4MB segment. You can change this
> with the fs= parameter.

I believe you can use up to but *not* including 4096kB. I just tried
cdrecord with fs=4000k and that went fine (at least in dummy mode,
haven't tried a real write yet).

> > xcdroast - tells me to go into setup, screams about not working
> > buttons and has no "save setup" option. The main buttons (except show
> > devices, setup and exit) are disabled, so one can't burn.
>
> Hmm. I hardly ever use xcdroast, I do things by hand.

First I had to hardlink /usr/bin/cdrecord to
/usr/lib/xcdroast-0.96d/bin/cdrecord-1.6 as otherwise xcdroast thinks
that "not all the binaries are installed".

The setup mostly works, expect that changing the cdrom / cdrecorder
things via the buttons gives an error:

    can't read "tkPriv(activeMenu)": no such element in array

For those who understand tix, the stack trace shows:

   can't read "tkPriv(activeMenu)": no such element in array
       while executing
   "string compare $tkPriv(activeMenu) $menu"
       (procedure "tkGenerateMenuSelect" line 4)
       invoked from within
   "tkGenerateMenuSelect $menu"
       (procedure "tkMbPost" line 28)
       invoked from within
   "tkMbPost $tkPriv(inMenubutton) 816 272"
       (command bound to event)

This looks like some incompatibility with the (current?) version of
tix (or tcl/tk). It happens on all choice-list buttons.
I tried upgrading to the newest of all of these, and rebuilding the
current frozen xcdroast version, but no improvement beyond what I list
above.

> > Does anybody know if cdwrite compiles under alpha? Has anybody burned
> > CD's on alpha yet?

I'd definitely go for cdrecord.

Paul Slootman
--