Re: cdwrite, cdrecord, xcdroast

On Thursday, 19 Nov, Paul Slootman wrote:

> Your kernel probably doesn't have a large enough shared memory segment
> available. I recall that for some reason, it is smaller on Alpha than
> on i386. cdrecord by default requests a 4MB segment. You can change this
> with the fs= parameter.

I didn't know about fs=, so I just went ahead and arbitrarily changed
SHMMAX in my kernel.  It worked.

> > xcdroast - tells me to go into setup, screams about not working
> > buttons and has no "save setup" option. The main buttons (except show
> > devices, setup and exit) are disabled, so one can't burn.
>
> Hmm. I hardly ever use xcdroast, I do things by hand.

There was a problem with Tk that propagated into et and then into
xcdroast.  I rebuilt the affected parts and filed a bug report.  I
haven't uploaded my .debs though, counting on the upstream maintainer to
fix the problem first.  However, I'll put them on genie.ucd.ie (into
/pub/alpha/debian).

BTW, I've successfully burnt a CD on alpha with xcdroast (on a Philips
CDD2660, which was a crappy one actually).

Nikita