Re: Booting ACP 164 UX -- Success

Nicolai Guba <nicolai@jungle.bt.co.uk> writes:

>   Brederlow> X-Mailer: Quassia Gnus v0.37/XEmacs 21.2(beta3) - "Aglaia"
>
> Aaaaah :)
>
>   Brederlow> It didn't? Mine did, but a recompiled 2.0.pre36 did not.  I have
>   Brederlow> a ncr53c8xx (nrc53c875) onboard and the 2.0.pre36 doesn't even
>   Brederlow> know it when using "make menuconfig".
>
> Hmmm, I installed the kernel-sources-2.0.35 and alpha-patches-2.0.35, then
> compiled a new kernel via make-kpkg modules_image, then rebooted with the new
> kernel and my box hangs.  No idea why.  Any pointers?

I tried to use vmlinux.gz and it hang itself after loading the
kernel. After that I tried it ungziped, which seem to work.  Also I
had some strange hangs right after compiling, copying and rebooting. I
do a sync now before rebooting after installing a new kernel and since
then it hasn't happen again.

Another strange thing is that "halt" unmounts all filesystems and then
reboots instead of halting.

>   Brederlow> I managed to compile a 2.1.128 kernel, which has a BSD driver
>   Brederlow> foer ncr53c8xx. When using taged command queue I get a spinlock
>   Brederlow> from the kernel (reproducable), but without it works.
>
> eeek!

I have a trace at home. The problem is in slab.c:0 (as addr2line tells
me). The kswapd makes the spinlock, which hangs the system. I get
another spinlock from md.c:0 when doing "hdparm /dev/md0", but then
its not critical and continues fine.

So, gotta catch the bus,
		Goswin