AlphaPC 164LX questions; firmware, RedHat -> Debian, etc

Hi -

I'm still way in the novice stage of Debian.  And I keep myself very
busy with outside activities other than computing. ;-)  But despite all
that over the past year I've installed Debian Bo on a 486-66 and Hamm on
a UDB.

A couple months ago I purchased a 164LX that came pre-installed with
RedHat.  I *really* like the philosophies that drive Debian.  And I want
to install Debian on this machine.

Which of the distributions should I use; Hamm, Sid, Slink, Potato?
Aren't a couple of them similar because of the freeze-pending release?
Which site should I get the files from?  I've successfully used a
Michigan site, but then Hamm was moved around and I was no longer
successful using dselect via ftp (I haven't looked around at the ftp
site to find out what the new path is).

I was also looking into verifying the most recent firmware for the
alpha.  It has AlphaBIOS 5.62-1a from Oct 6, 1997.  Digital has a
version 5.3 dated Oct 12, 1998.  But the numbering scheme has me a
little messed up.  I'm very comfortable installing a new BIOS, I just
want to make sure I'm not backsliding. ;-)

Tony -

--
Evil Twin -                                                       one_spike
        the Man, the Myth, the Legend in His Own Mind -         //~____/  ~\\