Re: Alpha recommendations

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 01:48:59AM +0200, Marc A. Volovic wrote:
> I am very pro-alpha, BUT - please RUN BENCHMARKS before buying. If you
> use Fortran, you may well see NOT so great results (I have)...

Please do be sure to use the most recent versions of egcs for testing;
they're actively improving the speed of generated code.

> >  * Is there a Netscape available for Alpha?  I've never seen anything
> >    but i386 binaries on their site.  If not, what does everybody
> >    do for a web browser??
>
> Yes, you can use the DU copy of netscape.

_Only_ if you have a license for Digital UNIX for the machine in
question.  Running DU binaries requires DU libraries, which are
covered by the DU license.  (The DU license is several thousand
dollars, I believe.)

Really, Mozilla is a usable alternative for web browsing.  The version
I've been using (the LSL static-linked Motif binary) crashes a bit
more than I'd like, but it's sort of usable.

-andy
--
Andy Isaacson adisaacs@mtu.edu adi@acm.org    Fight Spam, join CAUCE:
http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~adisaacs/              http://www.cauce.org/