Alpha recommendations

[ Please CC a reply directly to me; my subscription request is still
  pending. ]

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions or not,
but I haven't found any better place, so please bear with me.

I am seriously considering a new Alpha in the 600 MHz range as my next
computer.  The benchmarks I've seen indicate that such a machine will
easily trounce a Dual PII/450 that I had been looking at, and the
Alpha is about the same price, so -- the decision is not terribly
difficult.  However, I've got some questions for y'all:

 * Is there a Netscape available for Alpha?  I've never seen anything
   but i386 binaries on their site.  If not, what does everybody
   do for a web browser??
 * There exists an emulator for Alpha that can run i386 binaries.
   (I met the guy that wrote it at LinuxExpo).  Does it run well with
   Debian?
 * What are good vendors of Alpha-based Linux systems?  So far, I've
   found Linux Hardware Solutions, Microway, and Aspen Systems.  Aspen
   Systems seems very reluctant to give out prices on their website
   (hmmm).  LHS seems to be about $150 cheaper than Microway.  Anybody
   had experience with these, or other, vendors?

Thanks,
John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |