Re: Alpha recommendations

On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 06:04:48AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> [ Please CC a reply directly to me; my subscription request is still
>   pending. ]
>
> Hi,
>
> I am seriously considering a new Alpha in the 600 MHz range as my next
> computer.  The benchmarks I've seen indicate that such a machine will
> easily trounce a Dual PII/450 that I had been looking at, and the

I am very pro-alpha, BUT - please RUN BENCHMARKS before buying. If you
use Fortran, you may well see NOT so great results (I have)...

>  * Is there a Netscape available for Alpha?  I've never seen anything
>    but i386 binaries on their site.  If not, what does everybody
>    do for a web browser??

Yes, you can use the DU copy of netscape.

>  * There exists an emulator for Alpha that can run i386 binaries.
>    (I met the guy that wrote it at LinuxExpo).  Does it run well with
>    Debian?

Yes, there is (em86). I've NOT run it, but some people like it.

>  * What are good vendors of Alpha-based Linux systems?  So far, I've
>    found Linux Hardware Solutions, Microway, and Aspen Systems.  Aspen
>    Systems seems very reluctant to give out prices on their website
>    (hmmm).  LHS seems to be about $150 cheaper than Microway.  Anybody
>    had experience with these, or other, vendors?

I have had good experience with Aspen, who were very helpful and prompt
answering tech support questions and who are quite willing to mail you
a price quote.
--
---MAV

Marc A. Volovic               | Comfort, n: A feeling one gets from
marc@bard.org.il              |   contemplating discomfort in another.
http://www.bard.org.il/~marc  |                   A. Bierce.