Miata and kernel compiles

I've been having considerable trouble compiling a new kernel for my Miata
system.  First of all, is there some way to use make-kpkg to make kernels?
It seems the the only target that works for Alpha kernel compiles is "make
boot", and make-kpkg doesn't have an option for this.

The main reason I need to recompile is the the kernel that came on the
Miata Alpha boot disks doesn't seem to be setting up the serial ports
correctly, and I have no mouse support.

The kernels that I compile myself always seem to lock up the machine at
some point in the boot cycle.  Any hints?