Miata and kernel compiles

Christopher Jason Morrone writes:

 > I've been having considerable trouble compiling a new kernel for my Miata
 > system.  First of all, is there some way to use make-kpkg to make kernels?
 > It seems the the only target that works for Alpha kernel compiles is "make
 > boot", and make-kpkg doesn't have an option for this.
 >
 > The main reason I need to recompile is the the kernel that came on the
 > Miata Alpha boot disks doesn't seem to be setting up the serial ports
 > correctly, and I have no mouse support.

PS/2 mouse support, and serial port are supported as modules, so you
should enable them when installing, or adding them manually in
/etc/modules afterwards.

Anyway, to compile with make-kpkg, you need to use the kernel-package
of slink, you may also need to apply patches which are in the
bug-tracking system, if no updates have been made recently.

Finally menuconfig has some bugs on Alpha, be sure do use only make config.

Loic