Re: Miata and kernel compiles

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 08:14:59AM -0400, Christopher Jason Morrone wrote:

> I've been having considerable trouble compiling a new kernel for my Miata
> system.  First of all, is there some way to use make-kpkg to make kernels?

The latest version is reported to have experimental support for alpha.
Never tried it though.

> The kernels that I compile myself always seem to lock up the machine at
> some point in the boot cycle.  Any hints?

Use Linus' 2.0.34 and Jay's patches from
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/DEC/Linux-Alpha/kernels. Alternatively,
Linus' 2.1.108 also "worked for me", but I didn't test it extensively.
Note that the framebuffer stuff doesn't work on Alpha yet, not even with
Geert's or Alan's patches.

Also make sure you are using the latest MILO (also from gatekeeper, in the
same directory as the kernel patches).

If this doesn't help, we need error messages and hardware configurations
:)

--
Andreas Trottmann <andreas.trottmann@werft22.com>