AS255/233 (avanti) problems

Jean-Paul Blaquiere writes:
 > i have just installed the base dist off ftp.debian.org and apart from havign
 > a nice clean no error install (just like intel *yay*)
 > i am having big problems trying to actually run anything.
 > I think it's a memory problem, but i have pulled it all out , reseated it,
 > but haven't quite splurged on some new stuff yet.  (will do one day there's
 > only so much you can do with 32MB and RISC)
 > i will be updating all installed packages over the next couple of days as i
 > download the .deb 's .  how many of the packages sited at ftp.debian.org
 > are stable though?

Hello,

Guess all the important packages should be stable, as some people rely
on them.

Are your application randomly segfaulting? (this happens to me once
with  some version of the tulip driver, I really thought it was the
memory, because of the symptoms, but upgrading the driver solved it).

Maybe you can try the xl kernel for the AS233 (still using the milo
avanti), I have seen some post of axp-list that recommend this, the
MILO-systypes on gatekeeper also recommend this combination. Swap
floppy after you get to the MILO prompt.

Loic