Re: General questions about debian-alpha...

On Tue 16 Jun 1998, Kristoffer.Rose@ens-lyon.fr wrote:
> Kevin Squire wrote:
> >> built the package for Debian-Alpha.  I kind of wish there were, but then
> >> that would imply that there was a separate maintainer for the Alpha port,
> >> which doesn't seem to be the case....  Should there be?  (Side question:
> >> are there separate diffs for alpha package builds from the original
> >> source?)
>
> Paul Slootman replied:
> > If everything goes as it should, building the alpha version should be a
> > simple question of taking the sources and running "dpkg-buildpackage -B".
>
> Thanks for this hint ... I searched long and fruitlessly in the
> documentation for that :(
>
> > This implies that there are _no_ separate diffs for alpha; that should
> > be taken care of with #ifdefs.  If patches _are_ needed to build a
> > package for alpha, the procedure (as I see it) is to build the package
> > with the necessary patches, upload the package as a non-maintainer
> > upload i.e. with a .1 suffix to the version number, and submit the difss
> > necessary to the bug tracking system. Usually the "official" maintainers
> > are good with applying those patches to their official sources, so that
> > a future version builds cleanly on alpha without any intervention necessary.
>
> I did this for Xemacs 20.4 but with the special xemacs-alpha patch (and a
> bit of hacking).  Could you point me to what I have to do to upload the
> patched version?  Should I try to generate the patch with #ifdefs (using
> diff -Dalpha)?  Should I just make the diffs?  What if (as is the case)
> only a subset of the packages can be made on alpha (since there is no -wnn
> yet for alpha)?
>
> Gee, I have many questions.  I suppose the real reason is that I would like
> to be a debian developer (after 2.0)...could one of you mentor me, please?
> Then I can get serious providing the tools I install regularly (mostly
> related to TeX, functional languages, and symbolic computation) as Debian
> packages...

I think the best place to ask about this stuff is on debian-mentors, a
mailing list specially for prospective and beginning maintainers. I've
cc'ed debian-mentors on this message.

It sounds like it would be great for the Debian/Alpha effort to have you
join us!

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl