Re: General questions about debian-alpha...

On Mon 15 Jun 1998, Kevin Squire wrote:

>    My questions concern what I should do about the problems I did/do have.

I think the best approach is to report it here on the mailing list.
Make sure that the package name and (extremely) short description of the
problem is in the subject. Whoever ported the package may then feel
obliged to fix the problem :-)

> built the package for Debian-Alpha.  I kind of wish there were, but then
> that would imply that there was a separate maintainer for the Alpha port,
> which doesn't seem to be the case....  Should there be?  (Side question:
> are there separate diffs for alpha package builds from the original
> source?)

If everything goes as it should, building the alpha version should be a
simple question of taking the sources and running "dpkg-buildpackage -B".
This implies that there are _no_ separate diffs for alpha; that should
be taken care of with #ifdefs.  If patches _are_ needed to build a
package for alpha, the procedure (as I see it) is to build the package
with the necessary patches, upload the package as a non-maintainer
upload i.e. with a .1 suffix to the version number, and submit the difss
necessary to the bug tracking system. Usually the "official" maintainers
are good with applying those patches to their official sources, so that
a future version builds cleanly on alpha without any intervention necessary.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands