Re: collect debian-admintools

On Mon, Apr 26, 1999 at 12:35:31PM +1000, Gus wrote:
> > So what if he uses a new thing "needs=configtool" and a menumethod
> > that only extracts these entries?
 I use it :-)

> in which case, why use the menu system at all?
> (but then, i suppose "why not" is a valid argument too)

IMHO the debian menu system collect programs (and documentation, dwww
use it...) and other packages use this data to create menus, lists etc.

The user, root etc. can use the other packages to start the collected
programs or read the documentation.

If I don't use the menu system, I have to write a second system
(dconfig-register) and this 'new' system do the same like the menu
system. This is not the unix way, to do things.

On a Unix system: Use the programs like modules. Don't write a spell
program for your (new) editor, if the system have on or more spell
check programs.

With the using of the menu system, the admin on the system can use all
the options from the menu system:
 he can add the config-tools to the window-manager menue
 ha can edit the menue items
 he can move the menue structur
 users can have different menues
 if root deinstall a package, the item aren't show
 he can add own items
 he don't need learn new Options, new programs, new system -> he use
    only  the 'old' menu system

I like it.

.-)

Grisu