Re: collect debian-admintools

Gus <gus@getsystems.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 1999 at 11:42:44PM -0500, Steve Gore wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 01:50:38AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > > Debian have a lot of Admins Tools like adduser, magicfilterconfig,
> > > linuxlogoconfig, pppconfig, gpmconfig, XF86Setup, and more
> > >
> > > Can we collect all this tools? I propose to use the menu system for
> > > this. With the need="debianconfig" option, we can collect this and write
> > > a [X11|gtk|kde|ncurses|.*]tool to find and use this tools.
> > >
> > > Comments?

ftp://mirjam.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/pub/linux/dpkg.tar.bz2

Thats a little "proof of concept" of how a menu/xconfig for package
might look like. Just try "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" after
unpacking and cding into the subdir.

> > I'm not a developer, but as a user I think this is a very good idea.  New users
> > especially have a difficult time finding the correct way to configure Debian.

Yep, thats a big problem of Debian. I'm working on a proposal and a
proof of concept that fixes many problems debian currently has with
the installation. The actuall changes are small, but the effects are
great. Configuration similar to the one shown in the file above would
be std. for all packages needing configuration.

> anything that encourages people to start an xsession as root is bad -
> and its one of the (ideological) reasons why i don't like redhat

On many systems you can't or you have a different/broken config for X
when being root.

> (if these were tagged with some sort of "gain root" command, eg:
> sudo/su/super, that would be ok - probably through a "debianconfig"
> menu option - or better yet, have a single program (not menu (or X)
> related) that is a wrapper to all of them)

It might be good for your system at home, but think about an
University where every user has an menu entry to reconfigure gpm or
XFree in his windowmanager. Thats a bad idea. Also a bloated sudo file
is a bad idea.

The tools should only show for certain users and then gain root via
ONE wrapper (esspecially the shell scripts need it).

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin