Re: Didier speak-with script?

Chime,

Go read the README for Voxin and follow it closely.  You don't have
speechd-up configured correctly.

If I had my system as messed up as you do - and I have had it
completely messed up - I would uninstall voxin completely as I have
instructed you very many times, and install it again as I've also
instructed you many times.  The README in the voxin archive has
complete instructions but you're not following them completely.

In addition to the instructions in the Voxin README, you have to use
spd-conf as root user to configure spd-conf in a system wide
configuration if you want embedded voice Allison at the log in screen,
otherwise you will have either no speech or you will have the speech
system you have installed system wide - usually this is espeak-ng, but
since I know you absolutely hate espeak-ng, I suspect you have
uninstalled it and that means you will have no speech at log in until
you run spd-conf as root and do a system-wide configuration.

Usually people do not have to do that because they log into graphical
system, you are logging in to a text based system in Debian - just as
I am doing.

I asked you if you were using brltty, I know brltty works differently
and from what I understand speechd-up and brltty are incompatible and
brltty has it own console screen driver / module.

I also asked you if you had the line:

speakup_soft

In the file /etc/modules

That is needed for console speech using speech-dispatcher.

If you do not have that line, enter that line into the file and
reboot.  Maybe that's all you need.

Also when you ran "apt search speech | grep speech" you saw you had
these packages installed:

 apt search voxin
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
speech-dispatcher-voxin/unstable 0.11.1-2 amd64
   Speech Dispatcher: Voxin output module

voxin/now 3.3rc5 amd64 [installed,local]
   Voxin pseudo package

voxin-enu/now 3.3rc5 all [installed,local]
   this package helps to install voxin

voxin-speechd/now 3.3rc5 amd64 [installed,local]
   voxin-speechd pseudo package

voxin-speechd-conf/now 3.3rc5 amd64 [installed,local]
   voxin-speechd-conf pseudo package

voxinup/now 1:2.3.3-1 amd64 [residual-config]
   (none)

Notice the last entry, it says that you still have configuration files
for the no longer used voxinup.  I have no idea but I suspect that
these configuration files would confuse speechd-up which you still
haven't installed.

Voxinup hasn't been used in years, it's been replaced by speechd-up,
but it seems you uninstalled it but didn't purge the configuration
files for it.

Also you appear to not have installed speechd-up.

If I were you, I'd just reformat that new laptop and install Debian
again then install your Voxin voice, and if you want to log in in text
mode use this command:

As root:

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

But if you want to continue you might get it working, but from
experience there are just too many things you've done to that system
like installing voxin-up that are causing problems.

Cut your losses, and reinstall Debian, if you want to login to console
mode directly run "systemctl set-default multi-user.target"

Then install your embedded Allison voxin voice from the archive.  If
you want text mode console log in you also have to run spd-conf as
root and configure as it tells you in the README file inside the Voxin
archive, then after you do this AGAIN run spd-conf but as your regular
user using the answers in the README file inside the voxin archive.
Then reboot.

Don't uninstall espeak-ng even if you hate it, you will need it to start out.

Best wishes,

David